Sunday, January 9, 2011

Enhanced Detail

Yesterday  the Madison Flickr Meeters went to the dome of the Olbrich Gardens in search of macro images. I started off with  my 18-105mm kit lens mounted to the D7000. It's more of a closeup lens than a macro lens so I also packed up several other lens I planned to check out.

One problem I hadn't considered propped up immediately. The humidity in dome was 100% Tropical Rain Forest; my camera and lenses which had been sitting in the car were cooled down to 100% Madison Winter Frigid. Instant condensation.

Continually wiping off the filter on top of the lens was an annoyance but not a major problem. Doing the same thing to the sensor would have been a disaster. So the lens stayed on. No real macro images but some decent flower closeup.

Contrast Disabled

 Contrast enabled

Which became even more decent when I used the RAW Therapee features I blogged about yesterday.  If you do macro photography RAW Therapee is worth looking at just for Richardson-Lucy deconvolution. (There has to be a better name than "Contrast by Detail Layers.")

Am I about to toss out Photoshop? No. I shot with an off-camera flash but in this image there were a few small areas that reflected the flash straight into the camera and created annoying hot spots. So I imported the jpeg into PS and used the healing brush to clean up the image. Can't have everything in a RAW converter.

Edit-When I posted the image on flickr and viewed the black box original I saw that the image looked noisy. Setting the fine slider to 2.2 did a SUPER GREAT job of bringing out and amplifying  the noise in the image! Setting it to zero cleaned the image up. Something to remember if you use the feature.

No comments:

Post a Comment